HYANNIS – Hyannis firefighters responded to a blaze at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel on the Hyannis waterfront Monday night.
A third alarm was struck just after 7:30 p.m. for the location at 213 Ocean St.
Reports from the scene indicated there was a lot of smoke visible from the building. The flames apparently started in a room and spread into the walls.
The initial cause appears to have been a malfunctioning ceiling fan in one of the rooms.
Other departments provided station coverage as part of the mutual aid response, including Sandwich and Yarmouth.
Construction on a new hotel adjacent to the Hyannis Harbor Hotel has been underway for several months. There was no initial word on a cause of the fire and no initial reports of injury.
The Hyannis Harbor Hotel was the scene of a 4-alarm fire on September 23, 1995. Four firefighters were injured battling the blaze when a hose burst. And on November 13th, 2000 a plumber accidentally ignited a fire that damaged two rooms before being knocked down.
Top 4 photos by John P. Carroll/CWN