Cape Voices: Jared Hemmila
CapeCod.com is proud to present Cape Voices.
Our goal with Cape Voices is to share different perspectives from people who live or work on the Cape.
Whether they be doctors, firefighters, teachers, cashiers, or lifeguards, we plan to share their stories with you.
with oyster farmer Jared Hemmila
7) What village on Cape Cod do you live in and where do you work?
I live in Centerville and work in Barnstable. I’ve lived on the Cape for years, but recently spent five years overseas in Indonesia. I’ve been working here in Barnstable for two years now.
6) How long have you been working as a shellfisherman?
I’ve been working as an oyster farmer for two years.
5) What do you like most about it?
I enjoy working outside and seeing the product grow to a healthy market size.
4) What are the biggest challenges?
There are many challenges in oyster culture. The biggest are summer and winter. This year a lot of new regulations go into effect to control vibrio bacteria growth in the summer, which means a lot more paperwork and record keeping. In the winter, you have to deal with weather and breaking through ice to get your product to market. And there’s always the continuous maintenance work to keep the oysters happy and healthy and free from pests like barnacles and snails.
3) What’s the most important thing you do in your career?
Making sure all the required paperwork is up to date and making sure my customers get their product on time.
2) What do you like most about Cape Cod?
My family all live on the Cape.
1) What is something that people might not know about you?
I’ve got a weekly poker group and I like video games.