Cape Voices: Suede
CapeCod.com is proud to present Cape Voices.
Our goal with Cape Voices is to share different perspectives from people who live or work on the Cape.
Whether they be doctors, firefighters, teachers, cashiers, or lifeguards, we plan to share their stories with you.
The Cape Countdown
with Musician Suede
- How long have you been in your current career?
- I have made my entire living for the last 30+ years as an independent musician on my own label, Easily Suede Music, touring nationally and internationally, releasing 4 CDs to date (another in the works) and 1 DVD recorded at Scullers Jazz Club in Boston which has been aired on 52 PBS stations nationally as part of their fundraiser drives – all thanks to my amazing fans who keep coming back and bringing NEWBIES to me! What a privilege….
- What do you like most about it?
- That could be a LONG answer… I cannot believe I actually get to live out my childhood dream. Nothing lights me up or makes me happier than making music, being on stage, performing, working with my great musician friends, creating and feeling that divine connection with music, musicians and audience. Nothing. I am in my element and immense joy when I get to do it. And it’s catching!
- What are your biggest challenges?
- Hmmm. Another long answer… Well let’s just say it’s not all glam all the time like it can seem. But that’s true with anyone’s career. It’s challenging to live on the road a lot. Every single time I go to work the environment is vastly different, oftentimes I am working with musicians I meet the afternoon of a show, so it’s never the same twice – and one never knows for SURE if the audience will show up. It’s a very risky business, especially if one wishes to have longevity in it – and full of incredible rewards as well.
- What do you like most about living/working on Cape Cod?
- Coming home to such a gorgeous place. No matter where I’ve been – the most fabulous destinations in the world, literally, every single time I cross that bridge or climb off that Cape Air plane my entire soul takes a deep breath. It is home. The light, the air, the beaches, the art….
- When not performing, what would people find you doing?
- Running my record label, which takes a lot of time and energy… and then walking the beach with my dog, rowing the wooden catspaw rowboat my dad built and I inherited, tooling about the back roads, top down, in my 1997 Miata M Class (best therapy there is), working on my grand old 1840’s captain’s home, out hearing my local musician pals, probably sitting in, then passing the tip jar!
- Is there an interesting fact that no one knows about you?
- I’ll never tell. It’ll all be in the book. Working title – The Diva Diaries.
- What’s your favorite town on Cape?
- That’s kind of dangerous isn’t it? They’re all really unique and have so much to offer in their own right, really. Wellfleet is home. Has been for the last 20 years. I really love it.
- What is your favorite quote?
- If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. – Gnostic Gospel
Looking to find Suede online?
Where can you find Suede this summer?
Check out Suede at the Crown & Anchor on August 22nd!