Gas Leak Causes Street Closure in Mashpee

fire department patchMASHPEE – A gas leak closed part of Steeple Street this afternoon in Mashpee Commons.

A construction crew working on the road struck a gas line just before 12:30 p.m. causing the gas leak.

Mashpee fire crews responded to the scene within a minute of the call and isolated the area.

Fire Captain Stephen Costello said the entire duty staff was conducting training exercises nearby which allowed them to get to the scene extremely fast.

Advertisement

Fire crews called National Grid to repair the leak.

Steeple Street was closed from Greene Street to Market Street for about an hour.

Local businesses in the area were also cleared and closed until the leak was repaired.

There were no injuries.