BARNSTABLE – The trial for the man accused in the 2015 Bourne triple shootings has been postponed again.
It had been scheduled to begin Monday after being postponed from earlier in the year. But according to the Barnstable Superior Court, the trial is now set for April 3.
Prosecutors say Adrian Loya, 32, forced his way into a condominium on Roundhouse Road in February of 2015 and killed Petty Officer Lisa Trubnikova and injured her wife, Petty Officer Anna Trubnikova, before shooting responding officer Jared MacDonald in the back.
The 2015 attack was described as an “ambush” by law enforcement. Loya is accused of using hoax explosive devices at the scene and setting his car on fire.
He was previously deemed competent to stand trial, but defense attorney Drew Segadelli says his client was not able to understand the wrongfulness of his actions and plans to argue an insanity defense.
“He lacks the necessary element of criminal responsibility which he cannot appreciate the wrongfulness of his conduct or conform his conduct to the requirements of the law,” Segadelli previously said.
Loya has been held at Bridgewater State Hospital since he was arrested shortly after the incident.
Loya is charged with murder, three counts of armed assault to murder; three counts of aggravated assault and battery; two counts of armed home invasion; two counts of armed assault in a dwelling; three counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony; two counts of armed kidnapping with serious bodily injury; burglary and assault on an occupant; arson of a motor vehicle; possession of a hoax device; assault and battery on a police officer; and 10 counts of possession of a large capacity feeding device.