A woman at the residence called reporting the leak and crews arrived around 1:30 p.m. to find the 40 gallon tank outside of the home had a leak from the bottom of the tank.
Cap. Scott Ames, of the Sandwich Fire Department, said that crews quickly evacuated the home and turned off all power.
Workers from Kingston Propane were called to scene by fire officials.
Fire crews fanned the tank and sprayed the tank with water to prevent ignition while propane workers transferred the contents to another tank.
Crews cleared the scene in about two hours after arriving on scene.
Bourne Fire Crews and the Massachusetts Military Reserve provided station coverage.