Carbon monoxide detector credited with saving Mashpee family

GOOGLE Earth: Image of neighborhood of carbon monoxide in Mashpee

MASHPEE –Mashpee fire officials are crediting a carbon monoxide detector with saving a family from what could have been a tragedy.

Mashpee Fire Captain Joseph Fellows said they received a 911 call from the home at 9 Fairneny Way at 5:12 pm Wednesday for reports that a CO detector was sounding.

The husband, wife, 3 kids and a dog were all able to get out of the home safely.

Fellows said that when they arrived, the initial readings on their detectors were above the safe level. Firefighters used protective gear to enter the home and determined a malfunctioning furnace caused the problem.

The home was ventilated and a contractor called to fix the furnace.

Captain Fellows said the CO detector did exactly what it was supposed to to do. He said the incident is a reminder of how critical it is to have a properly working carbon monoxide detector in your home.

The Mashpee incident came the same day that a father and son died in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Acushnet. Fellows said a member of their team responded to the Acushnet tragedy.



CapeCod.com
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy