Harwich Fire responds to chimney fire

HARWICH – At approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday, Harwich Fire-Rescue was alerted to a chimney fire with smoke in the building at 23 Freeman St. in Harwichport. Due to Harwich’s ladder truck being out of service a ladder truck from Dennis was dispatched on the first alarm.

Upon arrival of first responders, no fire was visible from the chimney and upon further investigation it was determined to be a small fire in the clean out trap in the cellar. The trap was cleaned and residue was removed to the outside.

The building was checked with a Thermal Imaging Camera and no damage to the structure or injuries to Firefighters or civilians were reported. The road was blocked for a short period of time by Harwich Police while apparatus was staged in the street. All companies were cleared and returned to service within about 30 minutes.

 Craig Chadwick/CWN photos and story


737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy