Improper disposal of ashes leads to Mashpee brush fire

Mashpee brush DSC_0001

MASHPEE – About 1:45 p.m. Monday afternoon Mashpee firefighters had a report of a building fire on Russell Road off of Monomoscoy Island Road. At the same time the Vineyard and Falmouth Fire lookout towers were reporting heavy smoke in the area.

A full department recall was requested along with a line box engine from Falmouth. The first unit on location found a brush fire and cancelled the Falmouth unit. A Mashpee brush unit was dispatched to the scene. About a quarter acre was burned before the fire was put out. The Massachusetts Bureau of Forest Fire Control assisted Mashpee firefighters at the scene.

According to Mashpee Fire Chief Thomas Rullo, the cause of the fire was disposal of ashes from a fire pit.

Reporting and photo by CWN associate Bennett Dottridge


  1. Sad!

  2. Patricia MacLean says

    Why would someone remove ashes from a fire pit? I wonder what the cost to taxpayers was for this act of stupidity. Thanks be to God there weren’t any injuries.

Speak Your Mind

737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy