Pet Smart employee in Boston hospital after pit bull attack

Google Street View/CWN

HYANNIS – Barnstable Police report that on Wednesday at approximately 11:15 AM, the Barnstable Police received a report of a dog bite at Pet Smart in the Festival Plaza off Route 132 in Hyannis. Upon arrival, Patrolman Doug Palmer found a trail of blood leading from the grooming area, through the customer aisle and training area, around the corner and into the employee lounge. In the lounge, officers found a 22 year old Pet Smart employee being treated by co-workers for multiple bite wounds. As a result of the severity of the injuries – described as bite wounds to her upper torso, wrist and hand, as well as extensive tearing of the flesh, possible broken bones and a suspected dislocated shoulder – Hyannis Fire Department Rescue also responded to the scene.

The victim stated that the owner of the dog, a Pit Bull mix, brought him in wearing a muzzle, requesting that he be groomed. When asked about the muzzle, the owner simply told the employees that the dog had previously attacked another dog, and stated that the dog was “sweet as can be,” while failing to disclose that he had also attacked a person, which Pet Smart states would have resulted in services being declined. The victim stated that store policy required that the muzzle be removed in the grooming area, and that the owner was informed.

During the grooming process, while the dog was being moved, for no apparent reason and without warning, the dog attacked the victim and would not let go of her arm. Co-workers utilized an air horn and special spray, but were not able to deter the dog, until they were able to physically extract the victim’s arm from the jaws of the dog. They secured the dog in a kennel cage and brought the victim to the employee lounge.

Due to the severity of the victim’s injuries, Hyannis Fire Department Rescue stabilized her at the scene, transported her to Cape Cod Hospital, and she was later flown to Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her condition at this time is not known.

Following this incident, the dog, per state policy, was released to the owner and ordered to be kept under in-house quarantine for ten days, and the Town of Sandwich Police and Animal Control were notified.
Media release furnished by Barnstable Police
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy