Power surges possible cause of A/C malfunctions in Mashpee and Hyannis

MASHPEE – Firefighters were called to the Village building at the South Port complex sometime after 10 a.m. A rooftop air conditioning unit had apparently overheated and caused some smoke in the ballroom.

HYANNIS –  Firefighters were called to the Rite Aid Pharmacy on West Main Street shortly before 10:30 a.m. Two rooftop A/C units were found with overheated motors which had caused smoke in the building. Hyannis Ladder 829 was involved in a crash with another vehicle at North Street and High School Road while responding to the call. A child in the car was evaluated at the scene. The car driver was reportedly cited by police for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.

The incidents came after power had been flicking off and on in the area darkened some traffic lights. Eversource’s outage map showed no large outages in the area. Several other fire departments were busy checking alarms apparently activated by the power fluctuations.

An Eversource spokesman told the capecod.com newscenter scattered power outages in the Hyannis area Tuesday morning were caused by work at a local substation. The work knocked out power to some homes and businesses and left some with partial power. The worst of the outages lasted about 30 minutes.

Speak Your Mind


737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy