Army Corps of Engineers Unveil West End Breakwater Project in Provincetown

PROVINCETOWN – During a public meeting this week, the Army Corps of Engineers unveiled a project to open up the town’s breakwater, restoring water flow between Cape Cod Bay and the West End marsh.

“Being able to open this thing up allows that flow to create a healthier ecosystem, so it’s going to be better able to respond to sea level rise,” said Rex McKinsey, Provincetown Harbor Master.

The project is the result of a 10-year study of the area, and because the breakwater has become a popular pedestrian attraction, the Army Corps incorporated a footbridge to be installed over the opened areas.

“The Army Corps didn’t build it to be a pedestrian access,” McKinsey said. “They recognize that is one way for people to use it, so they would put that bridge in place in order allow that continued activity.”

The Army Corps of Engineers will pay for 75 percent of the construction costs, leaving Provincetown to pay the remaining 25 percent, which estimated to be approximately $500,000. Because of the municipal costs, the project will have to be approved by voters before moving forward.

Construction of the project is expected to begin in the spring of 2018.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local, regional, and national news. We are on the job seven days a week. You can also hear the CapeCod.com NewsCenter by tuning into Ocean 104.7 FM.

More From CapeCod.com