Demolition Order for Main Street Building Signed by Bourne Selectmen

buildingBUZZARDS BAY –The owners of a building on Main Street in Buzzards Bay have been issued a signed demolition order by the Town of Bourne.

Bourne Selectmen signed the order last month, which says that the building will be knocked down on November 10.

In response, the owners of the building, located at 129-137 Main Street, have filed a lawsuit in Barnstable Superior Court seeking an injunction against the town.

Both parties met on Thursday for a hearing on a preliminary injunction.

“I think the court proceedings will allow each side to review the situation and so forth, and then the appropriate action will take place after that, but as of now, that order is still in effect,” said Bourne selectman Steve Mealey.

Roofers conducting work on the building left a portion of it open during Hurricane Sandy in 2012, causing millions of dollars in damage.

The owners of the building have taken the roofing company to court and have a trial date set in January in Norfolk Superior Court.

A town building inspector has said that the building is not up to code and should be knocked down.

But the owners are asking the town to wait until after the January trial.

“It’s been a number of years this issue has been before not only the town but also the owners,” said Mealey. “We still feel and we voted, to continue onward the request for teardown.”

Testimony in the Barnstable Superior Court case resumes on Monday where Norman Sylvester and Richard Conron with the Bourne Fire Department will be questioned.

By JUSTIN SAUNDERS, CapeCod.com Newscenter

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local, regional, and national news. We are on the job seven days a week. You can also hear the CapeCod.com NewsCenter by tuning into Ocean 104.7 FM.


More From CapeCod.com