Five Hospitalized for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Dennis

ER medical symbolSOUTH DENNIS – Dennis fire and rescue crews treated and transported five people to Cape Cod Hospital yesterday who were apparently suffering from carbon monoxide symptoms in South Dennis.

An Elizabeth Lane resident notified the fire department that carbon monoxide detectors in the house were triggered.

The dispatcher determined the residents may have poisoning symptoms and told the residents to evacuate the home and wait for crews to arrive.

Crews arrived on scene around 2 p.m. and transported three men, 31, 56 and 65, and two women, 53 and 63, to the hospital.

An investigation led crews to find the source of the carbon monoxide to be a heating boiler in the basement.

The furnace was condemned and will be replaced, according to a fire official.

Firefighters said a guest in the home began to feel ill and a suggestion was made to install a carbon monoxide detector in the home.

New detectors were installed in the home, which did not have any detectors for a few months, and the alarms immediately went off.

According to the Dennis Fire Department, most residents of the home had symptoms of poisoning for some time.

Dennis fire is emphasizing the importance of working carbon monoxide detectors on all floors along with proper maintenance of heating appliances as a result of the incident.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy