Former Bourne Selectman Blanton to Return to Court in May

FALMOUTH – The former Bourne Selectman accused of assaulting his girlfriend will return to court in May after he was released on $100 bail.

Michael Blanton was previously being held as a danger and met bail at his pretrial hearing last week. The matter was continued until May 16.

Blanton was released under the condition that he not have any contact with the victim in person or electronically. He will be monitored by a GPS tracking system.

Blanton is accused of attacking his girlfriend of three years on two occasions, one on November 4 and the other on February 25.

He is charged with three counts of assault and battery on a household member, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and one count of witness intimidation, threatening to commit a crime, strangulation, and assault with a dangerous weapon.

According to a Bourne police report, the victim was attacked in February during an argument over Blanton’s alleged infidelity. He is accused of strangling her, slamming her head against the ground multiple times, and standing over her with a baseball bat and threatening to kill her.

“If you tell anyone or the police, I’ll kill you,” Blanton allegedly told the victim, according to court documents.

Texts messages made available in the court documents reveal the victim told friends she feared for her life.

“I am scared for my life,” the victim wrote. “If I die tonight or end up missing, Michael did it.”

She was treated at Tobey Hospital the following day for a severe concussion and other injuries.

Blanton was initially arrested and charged for that incident, and has since been charged in connection with an alleged attack in November.

He resigned from his position on the Bourne Board of Selectmen and the Bourne Democratic Town Committee a few days after his arrest.

Blanton, who was a first-term selectman, ran for the 3rdBarnstable District State Rep. seat in 2016, losing to former State Rep. Matt Patrick in the Democratic primary.

He was planning on running for re-election in May.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.



CapeCod.com
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy