Friends, Family, and Community Mourn the Loss of Kevin Quinn

MASHPEE – Funeral services were held Monday for the Mashpee man and former U.S. Marine killed last week in a head-on crash in Cotuit.

Kevin P. Quinn, 32, was heading home from Cape Cod Hospital after visiting his wife and their newborn daughter, when his vehicle collided with another car.

The operator of that car, Mickey Rivera, 22, of Fall River, also died, as did his passenger, Jocelyn Goyette, 24, of New Bedford.

Quinn’s funeral took place at Christ the King Parish, followed by a burial at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne.

Friends, family and co-workers crowded the church for Quinn’s services. Outside, fellow Marine veterans and motorcycle riders stood at attention.

On Route 151, trucks displaying American flags lines the road.

His friends remembered him as a kind and generous man who will be greatly missed.

Kevin Quinn

“He was funny, welcoming, genuine, yeah he was a great guy and when he. He loved everyone like they were family he would have done anything for any one of us,” said Nicole Hyde.

Heather Abbey said that the death of her close friend came as a terrible shock.

“This is a tough one, this has shaken us to the core,” she explained.

“Under the circumstances, and the birth of his daughter, and the strength of his wife. To never be able to go home together, it’s beyond words.”

The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Rivera’s car was seen being chased through the Mashpee Rotary by two Mashpee police cruisers shortly before the accident.

Hyde said that along with the sadness and sense of loss, the circumstances of the collision make it very hard not to be outraged as well.

“I’m really angry, I’m angry at the system, I’m angry that someone who shouldn’t have been out of jail was – and caused this horiffic tragedy,” she said.

“These are life-long effects that a little girl will have to deal with, and her mother, for the rest of her life.”

Mashpee Police Chief Scott Carline previously released the following statement:

“In the early morning hours of July 28, 2018, a tragic accident occurred in the Town of Barnstable resulting in the death of two individuals. We are in the early stages of what is going to be a comprehensive and thorough investigation into the Mashpee Police Department’s involvement of the facts and circumstances leading up to this terrible tragedy. Our heartfelt condolences go out to the victims and their families at this time.”

Rivera, according to law enforcement officials, had a lengthy criminal record.

He was out on a reduced bail of $1,000 from $35,000 in connection with a murder case out of Fall River from 2015.

According to prosecutors in Bristol County, Rivera was charged as an accessory in the Fall River murder case and was scheduled to be back in court this week.

Reports also indicate he had additional criminal entries on his record as an adult and a juvenile. He died instantly at the scene.

Rivera had spent several months in jail before he was released on the lower bail last year.

About NewsCenter

The award-winning NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy