Gas Odor Prompts Evacuation at Mass. Maritime Academy Dorms

BUZZARDS BAY – The dorm buildings at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Buzzards Bay were evacuated Tuesday night and 2 cadets transported to the hospital after a gas odor was detected.

Bourne Deputy Fire Chief Joe Carrara said they responded to the campus just before midnight.

Emergency crews determined the smell was hydrogen sulfide coming from a malfunctioning battery in a generator near the dorms.

Carrara said the odor drifted into some open windows.

Two cadets were taken to Tobey Hospital in Wareham for evaluation, but were not seriously injured.

Students were allowed back in shortly after 2:30 a.m.

About NewsCenter

The award-winning NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy