Mashpee School Committee and Superintendent Brian Hyde End Relationship

KA_Hyde Decision Meeting_Mashpee_winter_quashnet school_022516_017

CCB MEDIA PHOTO: Mashpee School Superintendent Brian Hyde at the Quasnet School Thursday night after Hyde and the School Committee agreed to end their relationship.

MASHPEE – The Mashpee School Committee and Superintendent Brian Hyde ended their relationship early Friday morning after a nearly 5-hour executive session.

When the meeting ended just after midnight, the following statement was read by Chairman Don Myers.

“The Mashpee School Committee and Superintendent Brian Hyde have amicably agreed to end their employment relationship. The parties will work through counsel over the next days to memorialize their agreement in writing.”

It comes one week after Hyde was found not guilty in Falmouth District Court of trespass and breaking and entering charges in connection with a residency check.

He had been suspended with pay by the school committee since November 5.

After the early morning announcement at the Quashnet School, Hyde left without making any public comments. The financial arrangements of his departure were not disclosed.

After last week’s verdict, Hyde’s two lawyers called on the school committee to immediately reinstate him.

A letter from Hyde posted on last week said he had looked forward “to doing what I love most: working with teachers, students, and families to move our school system forward.”

A Falmouth District Court judge ruled last Wednesday that prosecutors failed to prove the elements of the alleged crimes and ordered a directed verdict.

The charges stemmed from a residency check he made last September at the home of Marilyn and Isabel King. Isabel had been trying to enroll as a student in the Mashpee school system.

But during the trial, both mother and daughter acknowledged on the witness stand that they were living in Sandwich until late September.

The case caused a shakeup on the school committee earlier in the year, when the board voted to strip Scott McGee of his chairmanship, saying he was too close to the superintendent.

McGee had been under fire at the time for not immediately releasing the results of an independent review of the home visit. He was replaced by Myers as the chairman.

That report came to no conclusions and made no recommendations after investigating Hyde’s actions.

The report said Marilyn King was inconsistent with her story while being interviewed by the private investigators.

King, according to the report, had trouble recalling dates, time frames, and conversations related to the incident.

By MATT PITTA, News Director


About NewsCenter

The award-winning NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.

Speak Your Mind

737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy