Mashpee School Superintendent’s Job Still in Limbo Despite Not Guilty Verdict

COURT POOL PHOTO Mashpee Superintendent Brian Hyde, left, and his attorney Drew Segadelli during the moring session of the first day of Hyde's trial at Falmouth District Court on Tuesday.

Mashpee Superintendent Brian Hyde, left, and his attorney Drew Segadelli during the moring session of the first day of Hyde’s trial at Falmouth District Court on Tuesday. Court pool photo/Steve Heaslip

MASHPEE – Mashpee School Superintendent Brian Hyde was found not guilty Wednesday of trespass and breaking and entering charges, but his future with the school district is still in limbo.

He was suspended with pay by the school committee on November 5 and has been on leave ever since.

After this week’s verdict, his two lawyers called on the school committee to immediately reinstate him.

“It’s sad that he had to go through this, he and his family. I hope he can get back to work as soon as possible,” said Attorney Drew Segadelli.

A Falmouth District Court judge ruled that prosecutors failed to prove the elements of the alleged crimes and ordered a directed verdict.

The charges stemmed from a residency check he made last September at the home of Marilyn and Isabel King. Isabel had been trying to enroll as a student in the Mashpee school system.

But during the trial, both mother and daughter acknowledged on the witness stand that they were living in Sandwich until late September.

“We call upon the school committee to call a special meeting to put Mr. Hyde back to work,” said Attorney Mark Gildea, who also represented Hyde.

A statement emailed from Mashpee School Committee Chairman Don Myers said they would address the issue soon.

“I am glad that the court has finally determined the legal issues surrounding Superintendent Brian Hyde’s actions during the home visit. The School Committee has posted a meeting scheduled for February 25th to discuss the personnel issue and potentially vote on the superintendent’s status,” the statement read.

The case caused a shakeup on the school committee earlier in the year, when the board voted to strip Scott McGee of his chairmanship, saying he was too close to the superintendent.

McGee had been under fire at the time for not immediately releasing the results of an independent review of the home visit. He was replaced by Myers as the chairman.

That report came to no conclusions and made no recommendations after investigating Hyde’s actions.

The report said Marilyn King was inconsistent with her story while being interviewed by the private investigators.

King, according to the report, had trouble recalling dates, time frames, and conversations related to the incident.

By MATT PITTA, News Director

About NewsCenter

The award-winning NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.

Speak Your Mind

737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy