Orleans Selectmen to Discuss Liam’s Demolition Monday

ORLEANS – The iconic Nauset Beach restaurant facing likely demolition will be the topic of discussion at an emergency meeting of the Orleans Board of Selectmen Monday.

Liam’s was left hanging off the edge of the dune that was ripped apart during the first March nor’easter. The storm tore away 40 feet of dune in front of the building, leaving it exposed to the ocean.

The Board, acting in their roles and Park Commissioners, met last week to discuss the damage at Nauset Beach, and tabled discussion on the Liam’s matter until engineers submitted a structural report.

Liam’s, and before that Philbrick’s, has been a summer tradition at Nauset Beach for decades.

“It’s a unique place on Cape Cod. There’s nothing like it. You can go from Provincetown down to Bourne, you can go to Wareham if you want, there’s nothing like Liam’s with the natural beauty and the awe of Nauset Beach,” said John Ohman, the owner of Liam’s for the last 28 years.

Hundreds of people have flocked to the beach to take pictures and likely see the building for the last time.

“I’ve had people that know me through the 28 years that have come up and hugged me and said ‘I just had to say how sorry I am.’ People are very sad and are very distressed by the loss, some I think more than me,” Ohman added.

Town officials said at least 60 feet has been lost at Nauset Beach since the January 4 storm.

“We’ve been working for the last two years on a beach retreat program,” said Town Administrator John Kelly.

“Under the lease, the town has to make a determination that the building is unsafe (before tearing down),” said Kelly.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.