New details: One under arrest after ATVs allegedly go on wild ride in Mashpee

– One person was arrested after some ATVs led Mashpee Police on a wild and dangerous ride. Some vehicles were reportedly forced off the road during the incident which took place around 6:30 PM Sunday evening in the area of Route 130 and Lake Avenue.

In response to a Cape Wide News request, Mashpee Police Chief Scott Carline provided CWN a copy of the incident report. The report states that Mashpee Police began monitoring ATV activity at Attaquin Beach off Lake Avenue after numerous complaints that included erratic operation that endangered other motorists and pedestrians. The operation also caused gouge marks in the beach and rubber marks in the parking lot according to the report. The report says the subjects flipped the finger and swore at the officers. Officers did not engage the ATVs at that time due to safety concerns.

Officers reported that at 6:28 PM, there were about 3 ATVs and 2 dirt bikes in the beach lot. When they saw the cruiser they took off. “Some of them went down the beach and fled via the State Boat Ramp parking lot. A gray ATV rounded the shed at the end of Lake Ave and squeezed through the boulders and fled right past me (Ofc. Dimitres) down Lake Ave toward Rt. 130. The white ATV with blue accents, that I (Dimitres) saw earlier today, did a few “donuts” on the beach then went around the grass by the picnic tables, past them, crossed over the newly paved basketball court, went up the grass covered hill, then down a steep embankment and onto Lake Ave. it then fled out toward Rt. 130.”

Within minutes, Sgt. Michael Assad reported he was observing a male on a white and blue ATV hiding behind a shed in the Community Gardens whom he had previously seen earlier in the day operating recklessly. Sgt. Assad pulled up to the ATV with the operator unaware of his presence due to him texting on his phone. When the male saw Sgt Assad, he tried “frantically to jump start the ATV.” Sgt. Assad ordered the subject to get off the ATV and lay on the ground. When Sgt. Assad deployed his taser illuminating the his chest with two red lights he complied.  Officer John Dimitres arrived and the subject was taken into custody without further incident. Once his goggles were removed, he was identified as Jonathan Frye, 29, of West Wareham. He was charged with operating negligently to endanger, vandalizing property, disorderly conduct (subsequent offense), unregistered recreational vehicle, and unregistered recreational vehicle on a public way.

Frye was booked and released on bail for arraignment in Falmouth District Court. Mashpee Police requested the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles revoke Frey’s license as an immediate threat.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy