New Details: Updated: RFK’s granddaughter dies of apparent OD at Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port

Google Earth/CWN

HYANNIS PORT – There are reports a woman died at the Kennedy Compound Thursday afternoon. Hyannis firefighters originally responded to the compound for a reported overdose. No identity or further details were immediately available.

The Cape and Islands District Attorney’s office released a brief statement: Earlier this afternoon, Barnstable Police responded to a residence on Merchant Avenue for a report of an unattended death. The matter remains under investigation by Barnstable Police and State Police Detectives assigned to the District Attorney’s Office.

Editors note: The Kennedy Compound is on Merchant Avenue.

Saoirse Kennedy Hill
Facebook photo

Late Thursday evening, multiple media outlets reported that Saoirse Kennedy Hill, the 22-year-old granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy died at the compound.

The Robert F. Kennedy family released the following statement: “Our hearts are shattered by the loss of our beloved Saoirse. Her life was filled with hope, promise and love. She cared deeply about friends and family, especially her mother Courtney, her father Paul, her stepmother Stephanie, and her grandmother Ethel, who said, ‘The world is a little less beautiful today.’ She lit up our lives with her love, her peals of laughter and her generous spirit. Saoirse was passionately moved by the causes of human rights and women’s empowerment and found great joy in volunteer work, working alongside indigenous communities to build schools in Mexico. We will love her and miss her forever.”

On Friday, the District Attorney’s office issued the following statement: Thursday, August 1st at approximately 3:00 p.m. Barnstable Police responded to 28 Marchant Avenue in Hyannisport for an unresponsive female, later identified as Saoirse Kennedy Hill (d.o.b. 5-22-97). Hill was transported to Cape Cod Hospital where she was pronounced deceased. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has accepted jurisdiction of the case. An autopsy performed today has revealed no trauma inconsistent with lifesaving measures. The cause and manner of death are pending the toxicology report.

The matter remains under investigation by Barnstable Police and State Police detectives assigned to the District Attorney’s Office.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy