Video: Chimney fire in Falmouth

FALMOUTH – Firefighters were called to 51 Bourne Pond Road late Sunday afternoon. Crews arrived to find the house full of smoke. A fire in the fireplace was doused and the house ventilated. A ladder truck was called to scale the roof in order for firefighters to put a “chain” down the chimney to remove blockage. No injuries were reported.

Update: Falmouth Fire-Rescue tells CWN that Sunday, Engine 25, Engine 21 and Ladder 26 responded to a chimney fire in a residential home. Crews encountered an active chimney fire. There was a significant build up of creosote. Fire was found above the damper and took sometime and effort to extinguish. There was no extension to the surrounding structural components.

So this is a good time for a few safety reminders as the fall seasons starts tomorrow and colder weather sets in.

Have the chimney and vents that serve your fireplace, wood, pellet, or coal stove, and your furnace, whether it’s oil or gas, inspected annually and swept when necessary by a chimney sweep who is certified.

Clear the area around the hearth. Debris too close to a fireplace or wood stove could cause a fire. Trim overhanging branches or large trees near the chimney or vents. Keep decorations and furniture at a safe distance

Always use a fireplace screen, whether it’s free-standing or an attached mesh screen. Leave glass doors of a fireplace open to some degree while burning a fire, unless fireplace manufacturers’ instructions indicate otherwise. When building a fire, place logs at the rear of the fireplace on an adequate supporting grate.

Never overload your fireplace or wood stove with too much wood. Never burn garbage, glossy paper, or any wood that has been treated or painted. Never burn holiday trees or wreaths. These things are the leading cause of creosote ignition inside the flue which is known as a chimney fire and is very dangerous.

Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
Have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors installed.
Test the detectors and batteries regularly.
Teach all family members how to use the fire extinguisher.
Have a plan to exit the house and where to meet in case of a fire.
Never leave a fire unattended.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy