Updated: Wareham firefighters battle three-alarm fire

Cape Cod Incidents/CWN

WAREHAM – Firefighters were called to the scene of a three-alarm fire in Wareham late Saturday morning. The fire was reported in a large 2 1/2 story house at 426 Main Street. Part of the building reportedly collapsed during the fire. A Bourne engine covered the Onset fire station while their crews responded mutual aid to the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

From Wareham Fire: On Saturday, November 19th at 11:19 AM, the Wareham Fire Department received multiple reports of a structure fire at 426 Main Street.

Captain Mickey Bird, who was in charge of Engine 1, immediately ordered a 2nd alarm on arrival due to heavy fire conditions in the large multi-family residence. Arriving almost simultaneously, Chief John Kelley assumed command and assisted the crew of Engine 1 begin their fire attack. Conditions at the scene deteriorated rapidly, prompting Chief Kelley to order all firefighters out of the building. In addition, Chief Kelley struck a 3rd alarm, bringing multiple other fire departments in for assistance.

The fire was finally brought under control by 1:30 p.m., however firefighters continued to extinguish hot spots for several hours. One firefighter and one civilian were transported to Tobey Hospital for observation of non-life threatening injuries. Eight residents were displaced, and are being assisted by the Red Cross. The cause of the fire still remains under investigation.

A total of 37 Wareham Fire Department members responded with the following apparatus;
Engine 1, Engine 3, Engine 4, Engine 5, Tower 1, Rescue 1, Car4 and Squad 2. Assistant Chief Patrick Haskell and Assistant Chief Mark Rogers also responded to the scene.
Onset Fire;
Engine 1, Engine 2, Ladder 1, and Squad 2 along with Chief Jeffrey Osswald and Assistant Chief Howard Andersen.
Marion Fire;
Engine 1 to Wareham Station 1 for coverage and Ladder 1 to the scene.
Carver Fire;
Engine 1 to Wareham Station 2 for coverage, and Engine 3, and Chief officer to the scene.
Two 3rd alarm Chief officers responded, one from Whitman FD and one from Plympton FD. The Providence Canteen and the State Rehab truck assisted at the scene as well.

Chief Kelley said, “All WFD personnel performed seamlessly with our mutual-aid partners and we greatly appreciate their assistance.”

Wareham Fire/CWN

737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy