Yarmouth Police charge street bike operator allegedly driving over 100 MPH

– Yarmouth Police report that 0n Saturday, April 7, 2018 at approximately 7:50 PM, Proactive Anti-Crime Unit Officer Sean Geary observed a red and white street bike style motorcycle turn onto Winslow Gray Road traveling directly in front of him.

He further observed the street bike turn right turn onto Buck Island Road traveling west begin to rapidly accelerate to 60-65 MPH in the posted 45 MPH zone.

Officer Geary activated the emergency lights in the area of the Yarmouth Water Department but the vehicle did not immediately pull over.

Officer Geary also activated the cruiser emergency sirens and the operator turn his head around and looked at him and instead of stopping, rapidly accelerated again and went directly through the red light at Buck Island Rd and West Yarmouth Road.

Officer Geary radioed the Yarmouth Police Department Emergency 911 Dispatch Center of the speeding and failure to stop and advised that he would not be pursuing the motorcycle.

Officer Geary, deactivated his cruiser emergency equipment, and reported last seeing the vehicle at a distance traveling at an estimated speed of 100-120 MPH in the 45 MPH zone.

As he approached the intersection of Buck Island and Camp St the motorcycle was out of sight. Officer Geary observed an individual wearing a helmet crawling out of the woods on the north side of the road.

Officer Geary then observed the motorcycle in a ditch, against some trees about 20 yards east of where he located the operator.

The operator took off his helmet and identified himself as Robert Alves, 21, of West Yarmouth.

YPD requested an ambulance to check on Alves’s medical condition. Members of the Yarmouth Fire Department arrived and transported Alves to Cape Cod Hospital suffering from minor injuries.

Mid Cape Collision arrived and towed the red and white Kawasaki Ninja bearing Mass plates out of New Bedford.

When interviewed by police at Cape Cod Hospital, Alves stated he was very sorry and the last thing he remembered before crashing was looking at the speedometer and seeing 110mph.

Due to Alves being admitted to Cape Cod Hospital, he was not placed under arrest, operating negligently to endanger, failing to stop or yield, speeding over 100 MPH, operating after registration revoked, operating an uninsured vehicle and no inspection sticker.

Police report that they have completed their investigation and Alves was summonsed for failing to stop for police,  charged with the following motor vehicle violations.
Media release furnished by Yarmouth Police

737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy