Fire Breaks Out Near Solar Installation at Harwich Disposal Center

HARWICH – A grass fire broke out at the Harwich disposal facility early this afternoon and has since been contained. The blaze affected roughly 2 acres on the capped landfill in the area of the facility’s solar panel installation.

Harwich Police and Fire responded to the scene and the disposal area was closed for a time while crews combated the blaze.

Deputy Fire Chief David LeBlanc told CapeCod.com that they have yet to determine a cause but an investigation is ongoing, “We don’t believe that it was related to any of the equipment up there, we’re going to have both the solar panel company and Eversource check out their equipment in the area but it could be something as simple as careless disposal, we just don’t have any idea.”

By David Beatty, CapeCod.com NewsCenter

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local, regional, and national news. We are on the job seven days a week. You can also hear the CapeCod.com NewsCenter by tuning into Ocean 104.7 FM.

More From CapeCod.com