Liam’s at Nauset Beach: Now Only a Memory

ORLEANS – A popular snack shack which has operated for decades at Nauset Beach in Orleans is nothing but a memory.

After the dune in front of Liam’s was destroyed in a nor’easter earlier this month, the building was demolished Tuesday morning.

Acting as park commissioners, selectmen voted last week to end the lease with restaurant owner John Ohman and begin an emergency restoration of the dune.

Town officials began taking down parts of the building on Monday. The rest of the building was taken down early Tuesday morning.

The storm tore away 40 feet of dune in front of the building in early March, leaving it exposed to the ocean.

A structural engineer found substantial damage to the building, which allowed the town to terminate the lease on building, which had been occupied by Liam’s for nearly three decades. Before that, it was known as Philbrick’s.

The town has been granted an emergency declaration by the state to restore the dune without permits, but all sand and grass must be in place by April 2.

Part of their plan is to demolish the snack shack, move the gazebo, and remove the exposed sewer system and asphalt from around Liam’s.

Ohman previousoy said he is not ready to let the Liam’s brand go.

“I think the town of Orleans loves us,” Ohman said. “I think it’s overwhelming. I’ve gotten thousands of emails from the townspeople of Orleans about the nature of what we will do next.”

Ohman said he does not believe a new location will be ready for the summer, but that another Liam’s should be coming soon.

“I have a great desire to continue the Liam’s legacy of onion rings and fresh seafood at Nauset Beach or nearby,” he said.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local, regional, and national news. We are on the job seven days a week. You can also hear the CapeCod.com NewsCenter by tuning into Ocean 104.7 FM.


More From CapeCod.com