New Damage at Marconi Beach Prompts Closure Until Further Notice

WELLFLEET – The stairs at Marconi Beach in Wellfleet will be closed until further notice after additional damage was done to the structure during Tuesday night’s high tide.

The stairs were first undercut by the recent extreme high tides earlier in the week.

Cape Cod National Seashore Superintendent Brian Carlstrom said they were initially going to attempt to repair the damage, but a large section has completely pulled away from the dune.

He said they will evaluate the situation over the next couple of days before determining the next course of action.

They stairs were just fully re-built three months ago after storms last winter destroyed them.

As a result the access road to Marconi has also been closed.

“Maintaining beach access along the ever-changing coast of Cape Cod presents some very unique challenges. We are faced with a future of more frequent and powerful storms, and a steadily increasing rate of erosion along much of the shoreline,” the Seashore said in a social media posting.

“Park management is currently looking into what options are available to continue to provide public access to beaches in ways that are financially sustainable, environmentally sensitive, and structurally feasible,” the statement went on to say.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local news. We are on the job seven days a week.



CapeCod.com
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy