Orleans Selectmen Recommend Funding to Develop Nauset Beach Retreat Plan

ORLEANS – Retreat plans from Nauset Beach in Orleans are taking shape for both the summer season and long-term.

Severe erosion from winter storms caused the town to demolish Liam’s Clam Shack, move the gazebo and make short-term dune restorations, and engineering consultant from the Woods Hole Group Leslie Fields presented short-term and long-term solutions to the board last month.

For the summer season, the town plans to leave the administration and restroom building.

“God willing we don’t have another storm and have some damage there,” said Fields. “Right now we think that is a realistic plan.”

The town hopes to replace Liam’s with space for four mobile food trucks and a picnic area.

“To support those mobile food concessions we are looking at rerouting or extending the electric utility lines so that we can service those concessions,” Fields said.

The north and south access points for the beach will also remain throughout the summer season.

Plans call for the Beach to be opened for the summer season by May 26.

The cost for short-term solutions is about $85,000.

Long-term retreat plans which could begin as soon as the fall would include building a new administration and restroom structure and create a new vehicle entrance.

The board voted to recommend $175,000 for the retreat master plan and design which will go before voters at Town Meeting and Town Election.

About CapeCod.com NewsCenter

The award-winning CapeCod.com NewsCenter provides the Cape Cod community with a constant, credible source for local, regional, and national news. We are on the job seven days a week. You can also hear the CapeCod.com NewsCenter by tuning into Ocean 104.7 FM.