YARMOUTH PORT – Habitat for Humanity of Cape Cod is accepting applications until November 30 for 4 affordable homes in Chatham and 6 in West Yarmouth.
The 2- and 3- bedroom homes will be situated on Main Street, Chatham and Virginia Street in West Yarmouth.
Applicants for these homes must be willing to commit “sweat equity,” or helping build when construction starts in the spring.
Other qualifications include general housing need, being a first-time homebuyer (with some exceptions), having the ability to pay about $650 to $775 per month and having an annual income of less than 65% of area median income as adjusted by household size.
Habitat Executive Director Vikki Goldsmith said that there’s a large gap between local wages and housing prices, especially in Chatham.
“Chatham is a fishing community. It has service workers, people who work in assisted living and nursing homes. These folks have to live somewhere. That’s who Habitat can serve,” she said.
Applications are available for both towns at the Habitat office, 411 Rte. 6A, Yarmouth Port. Chatham home applications can be picked up at Eldredge Public Library or the lobby of Chatham town hall; West Yarmouth homes, at the South Yarmouth Libraries or Office of Community Development at town hall.
A series of informational sessions will be held in the coming weeks.
- Thursday, October 15 at South Yarmouth Library, 312 Old Main St, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Saturday, October 17 at Hyannis Community Center, 141 Bassett Lane, Hyannis, 10:30-noon
- Tuesday, October 20 at St. Pius Church Life Center in South Yarmouth, 5 Barbara Street, South Yarmouth, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Saturday, October 24 at South Yarmouth Library, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 3 at Habitat Office, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Thursday, November 5 at Eldredge Library, 564 Main St, Chatham, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Saturday, November 7 at Eldrege Library, 10:30-noon
General information about applying is available at www.habitatcapecod.org.