New video: Fire involving propane tank quelled in Truro

TRURO – Firefighters were called to a potentially serious situation just before 10:30 PM Sunday. A fire involving a propane tank at 6 Cabral Farm Road caused the pressure relief valve to let go causing a fireball. Crews deployed a hose system known as a blitz gun to protect the house and cool the tank. The situation was quickly brought under control as Provincetown and Wellfleet fire crews responded to the scene with extra water and manpower just in case. No injuries were reported. The house was checked to make sure gas hadn’t gotten inside. Firefighters remained on scene while the remaining gas was vented from the tank.

In a statement Truro Fire reports that on Sunday at 10:22 PM, the department was dispatched to a reported brush fire. En route responding units were updated that this was a fully involved shed fire, with extension to brush in the area, as well as an involved 250 gallon propane tank. On arrival, the relief valve on the propane tank was functioning as intended, and was venting excess pressure from the tank, preventing a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). A blitz gun was deployed to cool the tank, and additional hose lines were deployed to extinguish the shed and brush fires, as well as cool down the residence on the property which posed an immediate exposure concern. Crews remained on scene for an extended period of time while all remaining contents of the tank were vented. There were no injuries.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy