Massachusetts Maritime dorms evacuated for 2nd time this week following reports of gas odor

BUZZARDS BAY – Students at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy were evacuated for the second time this week for reports of a gas odor.

Bourne Deputy Fire Chief Joe Carrara said they responded to the Buzzards Bay campus Thursday night after a few people in the dorm reported the smell.

On arrival, firefighters were unable to detect the odor and their meters did not register any abnormal carbon dioxide levels.

The students were eventually allowed back inside.

All of the school’s dorms were evacuated on Tuesday night when hydrogen sulfide leaking from a battery in a generator drifted into some open windows.

Two cadets were evaluated at Tobey Hospital in Wareham following that incident.
737 West Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact Us | Advertise Terms of Use 
Employment and EEO | Privacy